Recent Issues in Education

February 2, 2014

After reading this weeks chapters a thought kept coming to mind, the more things change the more they stay the same. I don’t know who said it, it is just something I have heard my entire life. I believe that as education evolves it tends to play catch up to a world that is growing and evolving at a rapid pace. While the foundation of education is deeply rooted in history it is based off of several valid models.

One of those models was developed by Dr. Maria Montessori. Dr. Montessori developed her program after researching Itard and Seguin. Montessori felt that children “posses an inner need to work at what interests them” (Ornstein, Levine, Gutek, & Vocke, 2014, p. 122). The activities were based upon three types “practical, sensory, and formal skills and studies” (p.122). Montessori was a pioneer in early education and through her work it has been determined that “early childhood education has a highly formative power over a person’s adult development” (p. 123).

Another foundation of education today is based upon Jean Piaget findings. Both Piaget and Montessori based their findings upon observations and believed they had discovered how children process and develop their ideas and findings. Piaget found that there were four stages of cognitive development and growth. The stages are sensorimotor stage, preoperational stage, concrete-operational period and formal-operational period. Piaget felt that “early-childhood and elementary education should be based on how children develop and act on their own thinking and learning processes” (p. 125)

I think that the way education has developed with No Child Left Behind, we have forgotten the way children learn and have gotten away for the some of the most basic needs that children need in order to learn. According to Dewey, “departure from the old solves no problems” (Dewey,J., p.25). I feel that we need to do more to help students learn in a nurturing environment that does not inhibit their learning and encourages growth through education.  I think that by knowing and understanding the basic principles and applying some proven and innovative techniques that bring in new ideas and technologies is a good solid foundation to build a classroom around.

Dewey, J. (1997). Experience and education. New York: Simon & Schuster.

Introduction to Montessori and the Montessori Foundation. (2009, April 12). YouTube. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7a3Br6kPbU

Ornstein, A. C., Levine, D. U., Gutek, G. L., & Vocke, D. E. (2014). Foundations of education (12th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.

Categories: Foundations of American Education.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comment Feed

No Responses (yet)

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.